1. What this policy covers. This policy covers our treatment of information that we obtain when you visit Assemble. This policy does not cover the privacy practices of third parties that we do not own or control, such as our partners or advertisers. In addition we may provide links to other services and on occasion links to other sites that may interest you. All of these sites are owned independently of Assemble and they have their own privacy and security practices. For your best on-line experience, we encourage you to review their privacy policies before submitting personal information to them.
2. Information Assemble gathers. Information Assemble gathers generally falls into two categories: (1) personally identifiable information, which is gathered with your specific knowledge and consent, for instance when you enter a sweepstakes or contest, complete a survey, make a purchase, subscribe to our publication(s), or register for any portion of our services, you are asked to provide information such as your email address and name, and (2) non-personally identifiable information collected through technology, which includes tracking information collected as you navigate Assemble.
2.1. Personally identifiable information that you give us
2.1.1. Registration. Registration for Assemble requires that you supply certain personally identifiable information including, in most cases, a unique email address and demographic information to register.
2.1.2. Registration for uur website via third-party tools. You may choose to log-on, create, or enhance your profile on Assemble with the Facebook Connect feature on Assemble. By doing this, you are asking Facebook to send us registration information from your Facebook profile. We treat that information as we do any other information you give us when you log-on, register, or create a profile.
2.1.3. User Generated comments and public activities (including comments and Facebook and Twitter sharing). We offer you opportunities to engage in public activities on Assemble. “Public Activities” are any actions you take on Assemble, Twitter, Facebook and other social media that are designed to be visible to other users on Assemble, including comments and posting to Facebook or Twitter and other social media. Any information you disclose in your Public Activities, including your screen name, any image or photo, becomes public and may be used by Assemble for online and offline promotional or commercial uses in any and all media. If you chose to engage Public Activities, you should be aware that any personally identifiable information you choose to submit there can be read, collected, and used by other readers of these areas, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in these forums and Assemble has no responsibility to publish, take down, remove or edit any Public Activities.
If you have signed up for an Assemble account, we will track and aggregate your Public Activities on Assemble. If you choose to participate in Public Activities, you are electing to share and display such Public Activities on Assemble. Also, Public Activities may be included in RSS feeds, APIs, and made available to other websites in other formats. As a result your Public Activities may appear on other websites, blogs, or feeds.
2.1.4. Contests, sweepstakes, and special offers. Assemble may collect information from you in connection with contests, sweepstakes, and special offers. If this information is shared with a third party, we will notify you at the time of collection, and if you do not want any personal information shared, you may always decline to participate in the sweepstakes, contest, or special offer.
2.1.5. Surveys, panels, and market research. Assemble may collect personal information from you in connection with voluntary surveys. Unless we notify you at the time of collection, the information you provide in response to optional survey questions may be shared, but only in aggregate, with advertisers and partners.
2.2. Non-personally identifiable information collected using technology.
2.2.1. Device Information. We may collect information about the computer, mobile telephone, smart phone, or other device you use to access Assemble.
2.2.3. Analytics Technologies. We have hired third parties to provide us information, reports and analysis about the usage and browsing patterns of the users of Assemble. The non-personally identifiable information is collected to analyze trends, administer the site, track users’ movements around the site, and gather aggregate information about our user base as a whole. We do not tie this data to personally identifiable information.
2.2.4. Log files and reading history. We automatically log certain information about your use of Assemble. This information includes reading history of the pages you view. We may use this information to provide you with customized recommendations based on your reading history. We also use log files in aggregate usage of Assemble.
3. How Assemble Uses the information we gather
3.1. Services you request. Assemble uses personally identifying information you supply to provide you with the service you have requested. For example, if you subscribe to Assemble, we may use your email address to send you a confirmation notice and your mailing address to send you the publication. We may also use the information to communicate with you about new features, products, or services and/or to improve the services we offer by tailoring them to your needs. Similarly, if you enter an online contest, sweepstakes, or giveaway, we will use the information you provide to notify you.
3.2. Analysis. We perform statistical, demographic, and marketing analysis of users of Assemble for product development purposes and to generally inform advertisers about the nature of our users. We also use this information to improve customer relationships.
3.3. Third party service providers. Assemble will allow access to our database by third parties that provide services on our behalf, including credit-card and billing processing, shipping, email distribution, list processing, and analytics or promotions management. Our service providers are restricted from using any data in any way other than to provide services for Assemble and they may not share or resell our data.
3.4. Affiliates and Partners. Unless otherwise specified elsewhere on Assemble, we may share personally identifying information with our affiliates, and with carefully selected partners.
4. Our Email Policy. Assemble complies fully with the federal CAN SPAM Act of 2003.
4.2. Newsletters. Assemble offers a number of email newsletters. If you no longer with to receive a specific newsletter, follow the “unsubscribe” instructions located at the bottom of each newsletter. To manage your Assemble email preferences, please click on the unsubscribe link found at the bottom of any newsletter you’ve received.
4.3. Promotional Emails. Assemble may also periodically email you messages about products and services that we think may be of interest to you. You may choose not to receive messages in the future by following the “unsubscribe” instructions located at the bottom of each email.
5. Legal Stuff.
5.1. Legal Requirements. We may also provide access to our databases to cooperate with official investigations or legal proceedings, including, for example, in response to subpoenas, search warrants, court orders, or other legal proceedings.
5.2. Acquisition or Transfer. As our business changes, we may buy or sell various assets. In the event that all or a portion of the assets owned or controlled by ASSEMBLE, its parent, subsidiaries, or affiliates, are sold, assigned, transferred or acquired by another company, the information from and/or about ASSEMBLE users may be among the assets.
6. How Information is Kept Secure
6.1. Network Security. We have implemented a variety of commercially standard encryption and security technologies and procedures to protect information, including your personal information, stored in our computer systems from unauthorized access. Please be aware that no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, thus we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, but we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
6.2. Management Procedures. We also maintain standard physical and electronic procedural safeguards that limit access to your personally identifiable information to our employees (or people working on our behalf and under confidentiality agreements) who, through the course of standard business activities, need to access your personally identifiable information.
7. Special Note For Our International Visitors. Assemble’s website is intended for and directed to users in Australia. If you are accessing the Assemble website from the European Union, Asia, the US or any other region with laws or regulations governing personal data collection, use and disclosure that differ from Australian laws, please be advised that through your continued use of the Assemble website which is governed by Australian law, this Privacy Notice and our Disclaimer, you are transferring your personal information to Australia and you consent to that transfer.